Contact Us To Volunteer
Volunteers are the heart of the programs run by Ronald McDonald House Charities of Nashville. Caring and cheerful volunteers are often the first voices heard on the telephone and the first smiling faces seen at the door. Whether they are planning and coordinating an evening family activity, supplying and cooking a meal for the families, or committing to volunteer on a shift each week or month, our volunteers make our House and Family Room more like home.
Volunteer must be at least 18 years of age, responsible to volunteer as scheduled and must pass a background check.
Some duties volunteers handle:
- Greet and welcome families and visitors to the House and Family Room
- Register families into the House
- Answer phone calls
- Handle calls from hospital personnel, families and visitors
- Help keep the kitchen and public areas well organized and clean
- Assist volunteer groups with tours and meals
- Provide home cooked meals for our families
Host a “Wish List” Item Drive
We are always in need of household supplies, food items, and cleaning supplies. We have 32 families who stay with us every night so the need for these items continues throughout the year.
We have “Wish Lists” of items that are needed for both the House and the Family Room. If you are a member of a group or organization that is looking for a community service project, this is a great way to help those families who need the services provided by Ronald McDonald House Charities of Nashville. Review a list of the Ronald McDonald House Wish List and Family Room Wish List.
Prepare a Meal
Due to the generous support from the community, our weekday meal calendar is full through May 2017 and our weekend meal calendar is full through all of 2017! Email Sarah, House Operations Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in preparing a meal for our families on a weekday from June through December 2017.
Be an S.O.S. or “Stock our Shelves” Sponsor
For a donation of $500, food items, snacks and supplies will be purchased for the Ronald McDonald Family Room for the entire month to offer the families and friends of children in the hospital a break from corridors and waiting rooms. In recognition of your generous donation, your name will be displayed as the “S.O.S. Sponsor of the Month.” Print S.O.S Sponsor information sheet or fill out our donation form online.
**Due to the nature of the services we provide, we require all volunteers under age 18 be accompanied by an adult while in the House. We do want to promote volunteerism for teens and youth and have some projects available.
Prepare a meal for the families
Contact Sarah, our House Operations Coordinator, at 615-343-4000 or email@example.com to schedule a meal. Please note: due to the generous support from the community our dates book up fast!
If preparing a meal seems a little overwhelming, we are always excited to receive homemade baked goods such as cookies, brownies, or any type of tasty treat.
Our 32 bedroom House, complete with kitchens, laundry room, living rooms, library, dining room and common areas can always use extra cleaning on weekends. Groups can schedule to work for several hours helping with vacuuming, dusting, sanitizing toys.
Yard work (seasonal)
We often need help with raking leaves during the fall, picking up trash and weeding our flowerbeds in the spring and summer.
Collect items from our wish list
We are always very excited to receive household items that our families can use. Download the latest House Wish List and Family Room Wish List. Groups or individuals may establish a drop off point and/or set up a drive to encourage donations.
Individuals, schools, churches, clubs, and businesses can join in the effort in helping others. All you have to do is remove the little tab from any type of can. The aluminum in that little tab is more sanitary and worth more than the whole can. It takes approximately 900 tabs to make a pound, so start collecting today! Download a PDF file of our Pull-Tab program.
**Please note that our weekday meal calendar is full through May 2017 and our weekend meal calendar is full through all of 2017! Email Sarah, House Operations Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in preparing a meal for our families on a weekday from June through December 2017. We are so appreciative of the generous support from the community!**
Families need and look forward to a well-balanced meal after a long day at the hospital. Please help us to continue providing a “home away from home” by either cooking a meal at the Nashville Ronald McDonald House in our fully stocked kitchen or preparing it in your own home and dropping it off. The Nashville Ronald McDonald House is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and 365 days a year and we invite the community to provide meals every day, including holidays. You or your group can plan breakfast, lunch or dinner.
• Plan on serving 30-35 people for breakfast and dinner and 20-25 people for lunch.
• Breakfast is served at 8:30 a.m., lunch is served at 12:00 noon and dinner is served at 6:00 p.m.
• The kitchen can hold a maximum of 10 people from your group.
• Please clean as you go.
• Be creative and keep in mind our goal is to serve our families a complete meal.
• Our kitchen is fully-stocked. You will only need to bring the food you are preparing.
*Please keep in mind that mealtimes are sometimes the only times our families can keep their minds off what is happening at the hospital. Some families may wish to talk about their situation, but most families prefer to eat quickly and return to the hospital.
*Please do not photograph families (parents or children) staying at RMHC of Nashville or post photographs including RMHC of Nashville families on social media. We appreciate your understanding.
To schedule a meal please call (615) 343-4000 or email email@example.com
You may also fill out an online form if you are interested in preparing a meal for our families.
Responsibilities may include:
- Answering phones and providing front desk reception
- Welcoming, registering & orienting new guests
- Conducting house tours
- Performing housekeeping tasks
- Assisting with office projects
- Helping with fundraising events
If this sounds like a match for you, please click here to complete a volunteer application.
The Ronald McDonald Family Room, located on the fifth floor of Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, was designed to be an oasis, a place where families whose children are being treated at Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt can get away for a moment to gather their thoughts, rest and relax, have something to eat or drink, or just take a few minutes to walk away from the bedside of their sick children. The Family Room is a place of refuge for more than 2,100 people every month. Family Room Volunteers help to extend the mission of our House by providing warmth and support to the families who need us.
The commitment made in accepting a volunteer position in the Ronald McDonald Family Room is an important one. Family Room Volunteers provide reception for families, offer hospitality, and provide a supportive shoulder for families who have a child being treated in Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt.
- We encourage Family Room Volunteers to be prompt for their shift.
- Volunteers answer the Family Room telephone
- Volunteers register all guests visiting the Family Room.
- Volunteers enforce rules when needed
- Volunteers monitor television use if necessary (volume and content)
- Volunteers keep the children’s area and kitchen straightened
- Volunteers help provide a warm, friendly and supportive atmosphere for families
- Volunteers must NOT bring children, friends, relatives or other visitors with them while they are doing a volunteer shift in the Family Room at the hospital.
- Family Room Volunteers must be at least 18 years of age.
- Family Room Volunteers are trained only to be volunteers within the Ronald McDonald Family Room.
- We discourage medical consultation between patient’s families and doctors within the Family Room. There are many other places for meetings in the hospital between doctors and family members.
- Volunteers will be asked to sign a Confidentiality Agreement with the hospital and a background check is also required.
Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt Volunteer Requirements
Required Immunizations are:
(MMR)Measles Mumps Rubella or Rubella Titer (if born prior to 1957)
All volunteers must wear a Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt/Ronald McDonald Family Room Volunteer Photo ID at all times while in the hospital. When a volunteer becomes inactive, Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt Photo ID must be returned to the Ronald McDonald House. Replacement Photo IDs will be at the volunteers’ expense. The cost for a replacement ID is $15.00 (cash or check)
Thank you for your interest in becoming a Ronald McDonald Family Room Volunteer!
Click here for a Family Room Volunteer Application.
Please contact Ronald McDonald House Charities of Nashville at (615) 343-4000 with any questions.